January 7, 2012

Creative Therapy: Altered Note Block

I usually have a few projects going at once as well as a few ideas percolating; it's just how my head works.  But this past week was a bit stressful and come Friday night I needed to burn off some stress with a 'new' project.  I was able to go to my craft room and lose a couple of hours making it.  It felt great!  It was just what I needed.  And now I have a new block of note paper for my kitchen! 

I bought several blocks of 4x4 note paper *years* ago at a paper store always thinking I'd do something with them.  I guess some projects take longer to come to fruition than others...;p

The top flips open to reveal the paper.  3 large jump rings hold the top on and sit just above a row of brown rick-rack.   I used small scrabble wood block letters for the word "Notes". One of those things that've been in my collection for years. A double layer of seam binding ribbon in blue from Stampin' Up. They have amazing seam binding; the stuff is just luscious! A Tim Holtz Philosophy Metal Tag and Hitch Fastener act as a tab to flip open the top.  The butterflies are popped up and sit on the most lovely grey flocked paper.




As the paper is used the top will sit at more of an tilt.  I have a few more blocks of paper to replace it when it's used up.  All sides were made from thick book board for stability.  At the back I used the Stampin' Up tab punch to create the look of hinges at the bottom.  The base and back are held together with glue and paper hinges both inside and out. The  block of paper is held in place with a piece of red line tape. A few ribbon scraps adorn the 3 jump rings.


And with the completion of this project the stresses of the day and week vanished.  The creative process truly is good therapy.



 What will you make today for some creative therapy?  Stay tuned for more holiday project catch-ups.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful piece to have on your desktop... it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool...nice idea! Will look awesome on any desk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea! I'm going to have to find some paper blocks and give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really beautiful project! don'tcha just love how art can take you away?!? kinda like calgon used to do for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful project - thanks for sharing the steps to create it. I too, have some things around that have been waiting for years to be used up. Maybe this year I will do more with my "stash"! Happy New Year.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carolyn! I love it! Thanks for sharing a cool way to dress up plain ol' paper for the desktop... after all, not ALL paper can be as exciting as craft paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so cool! I love it I have to make one!

    ReplyDelete